Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Howdy, Neighbor!



This is a picture of one of my "neighbors," G.D. He stands a solid 6'1" at 240lbs or so. And G.D. can be excitable.

The other night, he and I were toe-to-toe and eye-to-eye out on the street outside a cafe'. He'd just almost got into a fight with the night manager there and now was up in my face, with a fierce, crazed menacing look and growling threats between his clenched teeth. He really, really wanted me to give him a cigarette!

He and I have previously had things worked out in more... well, neighborly fashion... which I reminded him and invoked. And it worked. This time.

The next morning, on my way to coffee, I ran across G.D. handcuffed and being strapped to a gurney. Between wild snarlings at his Helpers, he shot me a defiant smile for a second. But he makes this trip about one a week or so. And is usually back on the streets in a couple of days.

The raw reality is that G.D. is just one among quite a few others, each with their own... shall we say, quirks? Some are truly among the most dangerous of persons. Others delightfully harmless. And everything inbetween.

Welcome to your new neighborhood! And your new social life, as you will be spending a lot of time around and among these. And must needs get along and fit in, somehow. Once they recognize and know you're among them, many then figure they have a LOT more free access to you. And too many know where you... live. And some know where you sleep.

-----

Breaking news:

I just learned that there was a stabbing this morn, out on the street. Just down the way from where I "live".

No comments:

Post a Comment