Friday, January 8, 2010

Twenty Ten!


I let this blog lapse again -- for months! And so much has happened.

A biggest change is that I'm now in an "RV van", which is about the largest a van can be, before becoming a more full-fledge "RV" and about the smallest an RV can be, before just being a van.

The move from being "out there" on the streets, to being in a vehicle like this is major. It may be as, or more, significant a difference as it would be to go from here to "indoors" in a residence, really. To have one's own private space, out of the weather and elements and vulnerabilities, is so important. And to be able to carry and keep so many more belongings and provisions is a major improvement. And that's not to mention the increased mobility.

Of course, I still have my bicycle which is now mounted on a rack on the back, but the trailer has been collapsed and placed in my storage unit. And I'm still using some backpacks to organize some things even within the van, although it's got built-in cabinetry and storage facilities.

Another precious boon is that ability to use HEAT, especially this time of year! The van has onboard propane systems, including a heater. I'd been using that heater with the last of the propane in the onboard tank, until it ran out. Just recently I discovered that the tank needs some servicing which I'm unable to get done right now. So I'm using a two-burner, portable propane "camp stove" to heat, which does a pretty close job. AND affords the opportunity to do some modest cooking outside the vehicle, which has its use and charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment